Supporting Teacher Mentorship!
We are excited that you have decided to be a part of the exciting work of mentorship, and hope that this page will be a useful tool for you as you progress through your first years of teaching!
- The Mentorship Program Chair is:
- Tyson Lancaster, Dewberry School
- The BTPS Mentorship Contact is:
- James Trodden, Central Services
Alberta Education Resources
- Alberta's K-12 Education system
- My Child's Learning: A Parent handbook K - 12 (includes grades and subjects at a glance)
- Programs of Study K-12
- Provincial Achievement Test Information (including dates, sample questions etc).
- Diploma Exam Information (including dates, blueprints, sample questions etc.)
- First Nation, Metis and Inuit Education resources
Helpful First-Year Teacher Tools
- Alberta Teachers' Association - don't forget to sign up for your free specialist council!
- Inspiring Teachers Website. Links for New Teachers
- 100 best Video Sites for Teachers
- Blogs from Edutopia on supporting new teachers
- LearnALBERTA - sign up with your teaching certificate number to create an account and to ensure access to all the resources provided!
- The social studies resources (especially critical challenges and the corresponding tools) & T4T courses
- 2Learn Education Society - technology infusion ideas, webinars, VC student opportunities, digital seasonal celebration resources etc.
- Take a close look at the The ORC Support Site: a website that includes links to recorded webinars about our resources, curriculum mapping, and other helpful materials about our resources. ORC Youtube site: Short videos that give an overview of their resources
- Galileo Education Network - inquiry learning, student intellectual engagement and much more!
- Alberta Regional Professional Development Consortia (all subjects and grades)
- Archived PD sessions on a variety of topics, teacher resources and much more! Check them out at the ARPD website. Look for resources including; Social Studies, Assessment; CTS, Differentiated Instruction, Early Learning, FNMI, French, Literacy/ELS, Math, Phys Ed, Science
- PD Learning opportunities (search tool for a variety of topic/ subject areas).
- ARPD Professional Development Resources
- Literacy for All (K - 6) and Numeracy for All project websites
- Alberta Assessment Consortia - AAC (* login required for full resource access)
- Subject Specific Links
- Science in Motion - Science presentations from the Telus World of Science in Edmonton. They travel!
- Mindfuel (formerly Science Alberta Foundation)
- Inside Education Cross Curricular Classroom resources for Elementary, Juinor and Senior High School. Wonderful tools for examing the new Alberta Education Stewardship Competencies!
- Teaching Sexual Health a wonderful resource for teaching many health outcomes grades 4 - CALM
- Teaching Media Literacy - a Canadian resource for teaching media literacy to all ages. Links to specific Alberta curriculum are here
- roles and responsibilities
- trust building
- communication strategies
- mentorship action plan
- Short and Long Range Planning
- Professional Growth Plan
- Classroom Management
- Reporting Achievement
- Parent-Teacher Communication
- Life and Work Balance
- Review Mentorship Action Plan
- Develop Second Action Plan?
- Make it through Christmas concerts!
- Accessing Resources
- Engaging and Motivating Students
- Using Effective Questioning Techniques
- Communication and Conflict Resolution Skills
- Observation and Reflection Strategies and Tools
- Authentic Assessment Tools
- Professionalism and the use of Technology
- Inclusive and Diverse Education
- Review of Mentorship Action Plan
- Creation of a Third Action Plan
- Program Evaluation
- Review of Third and Final Mentorship Plan