First Nations, Metis, Inuit
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit FAQ
- This document was created as a guide to frequently asked questions about First Nations, Métis and Inuit programming in across our division. This resource talks about terminology, the focus of First Nations, Métis and Inuit education in our district, what being a treaty person means, impacts of residential schools and much more.
- Parent information regarding self-identification
- This is an Alberta government webpage that explains Aboriginal Learner Data Collection along with clarification of self-identification items on school registration forms.
- BTPS Superintendent's Memo - FNMI Features
- The Superintendent's Memo is a weekly window into the happenings around the district. An FNMI feature is included in each edition.
- BTPS FNMI Teacher Resource Website
- With BTPS students in mind, we have built a website with a large variety of FNMI resources. To honour teachers' busy schedules, this website is meant to be a one-stop-shop where BTPS teachers can quickly access ideas, lesson plans, internet resources, PD options, etc, that include FNMI perpectives and are relevant to all subjects areas of Alberta curricula.
- Visit our Central Services Library to view a collection of resources that we have available to lend to schools and teachers.
Alberta Education resources:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit (FNMI) Collaborative Framework: Building Relationships
- Promising Practices
- Reports, Initiatives and Policies
- FNMI Contacts
- The booklet Moving Forward Booklet:Implementing Collaborative Frameworks is a key document for facilitating further dialogue.
Professional Development Resources
These digital professional development resources are intended to strengthen Alberta teachers' confidence to include FNMI perspectives in their classroom instruction.
FNMI PD Resources (for teachers) from Consortia
Empowering the Spirit (New):
(Literacy, Numeracy and Cultural awareness resources - for teachers)
Learn Alberta PD Resource (for teachers)
These classroom supports are intended for Alberta teachers to include as FNMI awareness in their classroom instruction.
Alberta Education: FNMI Languages Programs
- ARPDC Learning Portal - over 85 courses related to English, Math, Science, and Social with resources which include First Nations, Métis, or Inuit content or perspectives.
- 2Learn Education Society - Canada's First Peoples: exceptional 'real world' multimedia learning resources, tools and opportunities for teachers and students
- Chinook's Edge Social Studies Outcome Alignments (Gr 1-12)
- University of Lethbridge FNMI database - is a collection of lessons and resources for teachers across all subjects and grade levels.
- Literature Lists (SAPDC)
- Aboriginal Literature Collection On-Line from Edmonton Public Schools: over 400 titles, linked to Alberta curriculum. This database is a subscription service. Easy to check for updates since their most recent material is listed first.
Scholarships & Bursaries
- Scholarship Connections (ALIS)
- lists awards that are administered by various organizations. Search by keyword, deadline or category.
- Academic Invest (Sherwood Park, Ab)
- lists grants, scholarships and bursaries for students and new graduates.
- Belcourt-Brosseau Métis Awards (Edmonton)
- the largest non-governmental source of student funding for Métis students in Canada
- Métis and Non-Status Bursary Program (Alberta Human Services)
- for post-secondary studies in a social services field
- The Aboriginal Bursaries Search Tool (Govt of Canada)
- a searchable list of more than 750 bursaries, scholarships and incentives across Canada, offered by governments, universities and colleges, private and public companies, individual Canadians, organizations and others. The majority of bursaries on this list target Aboriginal students but could vary by group such as First Nation, Métis or Inuit.
- Future Leaders information - sports-based opportunity, Summer, Edmonton
- Opportunity for Cree girls age 12-16 - Summer at the UofA, Edmonton
- 16 week Aboriginal Pre-apprenticeship Training Program - Edmonton
- Arts - Theatre: For Intertested Aboriginal Students - Summer, Edmonton
- Leadership Opportunity - Environmental Youth Camp - Summer near Nordegg, Ab
Visit our Central Services Library to view a collection of resources that we have available to lend to schools and teachers.
- Green Certificate
- Partnerships & Services
- Registered Apprenticeship Program
- Students Online
- Work Experience